Author Archive

Fire Department FAQs

Why does a truck come to my house for a medical emergency?

  • Answer: Each Olive Branch Fire Department Engine Company has at least one certified Emergency Medical Technician on board. Firefighters can be on scene in an average of less than 6 minutes. This quick response allows for life-saving care to begin on a sick or dying patient before an ambulance arrives.

What steps are necessary to become an Olive Branch Firefighter?

  • Answer: Please see the OBFD Employment page for employment information.

Are there any volunteer positions in the OB Fire Department?

  • Answer: No, all personnel in the operations division are full-time Firefighters.

Where can I get a copy of a Fire Incident report?

  • Answer: Call Fire Administration at 662-890-7376. Tell us the incident for which you need a report. Be sure to include your name, the date of the incident, and the address of the incident.

Whom do I call if I have a concern with Fire Department service?

  • Answer: Call Chief Johnny Eason at 662-890-7316.

Where do I find information on fire safety and public education?

  • Answer: You can visit our Fire Education pages for safety information and kids games, as well as information on fire safety in your home. Contact information is provided should you desire to speak with a Fire and Life Safety Inspector.

Can I burn my leaves and yard debris?

  • Answer: Open burning in the City of Olive Branch is not allowed except for contractors who are burning for the purpose of clearing off land for a construction project.
  • Leaves and yard debris should be taken to street for pick up by the City’s rubbish truck.

Fire Department Employment

The Olive Branch Fire Department is growing along with our great city. We are a highly respected organization in our local community as well as on a county level. Every year, billions of dollars in property and hundreds of lives are lost in fires. Our mission is to reduce the loss of life and property by providing fire suppression, fire education and fire prevention services to the public.

The department currently employs over 85 men and women from this community. Our hiring needs vary from year to year, but one thing remains the same–we want the best individuals possible to carry on our tradition of excellence in fire and emergency medical services.

A career in fire service provides:

  • An opportunity to give back to the community.
  • The ability to help others in their time of need.
  • An unique and rewarding work experience.
  • An environment of continuous training and development.

Click Here to view available job openings.

EMS Division

The Olive Branch Fire Department operates the Emergency Medical Service for the City of Olive Branch. Our service area covers an area of 41 square miles with a population of approximately 34,000. We also make calls outside of the City of Olive Branch if requested.

The Olive Branch Emergency Medical Device operates 3 ambulances with 2 ambulances in reserve.

The Olive Branch Fire Department has 18 paramedics that are Nationally Registered EMT-Paramedics as well as Mississippi State Certified EMT-P. Each Paramedic is a Mississippi State Certified Emergency Medical Driver and must maintain their Mississippi Driver License in good status.

Paramedics work the same 24-hour shift schedule as do the firefighters. They live in the stations with the firefighters and help clean and maintain the stations and equipment. They also respond to all working fires and assist with fire ground related jobs which are needed to complete the fire suppression that is carried out by the firefighters.

Disaster Prep

Disaster can strike quickly and without warning. It can force you to evacuate your neighborhood or confine you to your home. What would you do if basic services — water, gas, electricity or telephones — were cut off? Local officials and relief workers will be on the scene after a disaster, but they cannot reach everyone right away.

Four Steps to Safety

1. Find Out What Could Happen to You

  • Contact your local Red Cross chapter or emergency management office before a disaster occurs — be prepared to take notes.
  • Ask what types of disasters are most likely to happen. Request information on how to prepare for each.
  • Learn about your community’s warning signals: what they sound like and what you should do when you hear them.
  • Ask about animal care after a disaster. Animals are not allowed inside emergency shelters because of health regulations.
  • Find out how to help elderly or disabled persons, if needed.
  • Find out about the disaster plans at your workplace, your children’s school or day care center, and other places where your family spends time.

2. Create a Disaster Plan

  • Meet with your family and discuss why you need to prepare for disaster. Explain the dangers of fire, severe weather, and earthquakes to children. Plan to share responsibilities and work together as a team.
  • Discuss the types of disasters that are most likely to happen. Explain what to do in each case.
  • Pick two places to meet: (1) Right outside your home in case of a sudden emergency, like a fire. (2) Outside your neighborhood in case you can’t return home. Everyone must know the address and phone number.
  • Ask an out-of-state friend to be your “family contact.” After a disaster, it’s often easier to call long distance. Other family members should call this person and tell them where they are. Everyone must know your contact’s phone number.
  • Discuss what to do in an evacuation. Plan how to take care of your pets.

3. Complete This Home Hazard Hunt Checklist

  • Repair defective electrical wiring and leaky gas connections.
  • Fasten shelves securely.
  • Place large, heavy objects on lower shelves.
  • Hang pictures and mirrors away from beds.
  • Brace overhead light fixtures.
  • Secure water heater. Strap to wall studs.
  • Repair cracks in ceilings or foundations.
  • Store weed killers, pesticides, and flammable products away from heat sources.
  • Place oily polishing rags or waste in covered metal cans.
  • Clean and repair chimneys, flue pipes, vent connectors, and gas vents.
  • Quiz your kids every six months or so.
  • Conduct fire and emergency evacuations.
  • Replace stored water and stored food every six months.
  • Test and recharge your fire extinguisher(s) according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Test your smoke detectors monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.
  • Working with neighbors can save lives and property. Meet with your neighbors to plan how the neighborhood could work together after a disaster until help arrives. If you’re a member of a neighborhood organization, such as a home association or crime watch group, introduce disaster preparedness as a new activity. Know your neighbors’ special skills (e.g., medical, technical) and consider how you could help neighbors who have special needs, such as disabled and elderly persons.
  • Make plans for child care in case parents can’t get home.

4. If Disaster Strikes

  • Remain calm and patient. Put your plan into action.
  • Check for injuries.
  • Give first aid and get help for seriously injured people.
  • Listen to your battery-powered radio for news and instructions.
  • Check for damage in your home.
  • Use flashlights. Do not light matches or turn on electrical switches, if you suspect damage.
  • Sniff for gas leaks, starting at the water heater. If you smell gas or suspect a leak, turn off the main gas valve, open windows, and get everyone outside quickly.
  • Shut off any other damaged utilities. You will need a professional to turn gas back on.
  • Clean up spilled medicines, bleaches, gasoline, and other flammable liquids immediately.
  • Remember to confine or secure your pets.
  • Remember to call your family contact — do not use the telephone again unless it is a life-threatening emergency.
  • Remember to check on your neighbors, especially elderly or disabled persons.
  • Remember to make sure you have an adequate water supply in case service is cut off.
  • Remember to stay away from downed power lines.
  • To get copies of American Red Cross community disaster education materials, contact your local Red Cross chapter.

Storm Water Info

Stormwater management is not something that most of us think about often. We are probably most aware of stormwater when intense rainfall causes easily visible problems like flooding, soil erosion, and heavily polluted waterways. But, stormwater also has less visible effects such as impacts upon aquatic life in local streams or chronic surface water quality problems. In any event, the best time to prepare to manage stormwater is before the rain comes. We are focusing on a proactive approach to managing stormwater for Olive Branch. Better stormwater management can mean less frequent flood-related problems, better water quality in streams that feed our important drinking aquifers, improved quantity and diversity of aquatic life in our streams, enhanced property values, more sustainable urban developments, and a more scenic, natural environment for all of us to enjoy, to name just a few of the benefits.

We encourage you to browse the Stormwater website and learn more about what the City of Olive Branch is now doing to better manage stormwater to protect and enhance your quality of life. Whereas it has been raining since the beginning of time, as our local area has become more urbanized we must manage stormwater to minimize its potential impact upon public safety, public health, and the natural environment. Federal and State laws and regulations under the Clean Water Act drive many of our programs. Others are proactive local initiatives endorsed by your elected leaders to help set apart Olive Branch as a high quality community in which people want to live and work.

The City’s Stormwater programs include drainage system operation and maintenance, public education and public involvement outreach, elimination of illicit discharges, construction site runoff controls, post construction site runoff controls, pollution prevention and capital improvement projects that are investments in the community infrastructure and environment.

You have a vital role as an individual, business, school, church, or other organization in helping us meet program goals. Indeed, it will ultimately take the efforts of everyone to make a lasting difference. Should you have any questions or complaints about Stormwater Phase II, feel free to contact us at 662-892-9351.

Stormwater Permit Application

As of January, 2007, property owners disturbing land of an acre or greater will be required to apply for a Stormwater Permit from the City Engineering Department. Property owners, or their representative, will be required to submit the following via mail or in person to the City Engineering Department:

Stormwater Permit Application

Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)

If you have questions concerning the submittal process or its status, please contact the Engineering Department at 662-892-9351. Once approved, the City Engineering Department will provide an on-site Certificate of Permit Coverage to the applicant. An Engineering Inspector will also be assigned to make daily inspections of the site.

Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality

“The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality is responsible for protecting the state’s air, land, and water. Our mission is to safeguard the health, safety, and welfare of present and future generations of Mississippians by conserving and improving our environment and fostering wise economic growth through focused research and responsible regulation.” — MDEQ website

EPA Stormwater Phase II Program

Stormwater Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s) — EPA Stormwater Program


City Beautiful Cleanup Day – For more information contact Joyce Haslip at 895-5448

Engineering FAQs

Does the City of Olive Branch have drop-off locations for recycling efforts.

  • Desoto County provides a list and a map of drop-off locations throughout Desoto County. Click on the link to be redirected to the Desoto County website for the Recycling locations. — DeSoto County website

I have drainage/flooding problems in my yard.

  • Call the Engineering Dept. at 892-9352. If this problem is occurring as a result of an ongoing construction project, call Engineering to request that an inspector take a look at it. Call Public Works at 893-5249 if this problem is not a result of an ongoing construction project; call Public Works to request that someone take a look at it.

I have a sinkhole in my yard.

  • Call Public Works, 893-5249, or Engineering, 892-9352. We will take your name, address and phone number and send someone to inspect it.

I need my yard repaired from a city project that was done.

  • Call Engineering at 892-9352. We will take your name, address, and phone number and will coordinate with the contractor to get you on the repairs list.

We have potholes in our street.

  • Call Public Works, 893-5249, or Engineering Dept., 892-9352. Provide us with the street name and the area the pothole is located and we will either get it on our pothole repair list, or contact the developer to repair it if the subdivision is still under development.

I want a street sign on my street.

  • Call Public Works, 893-5249, or Engineering Dept., 892-9352. We will take your name, phone number and address, and area of concern. If the subdivision is still under development we will send the request to the developer if it is for stop signs or speed limit signs, all other sign request will be handled as if not under development. If the subdivision is not under development, we will present the request to our City Engineer, Steve Bigelow, for his approval of the street signs.

I want the speed limit reduced on my street.

  • Call the Engineering Dept. at 892-9352. We will take your information: name, address, phone number, the nature of your request—such as too much speeding—etc. We will present your request to the City Engineer for his approval.

I want to tie-in to the City Sewer System.

  • Call the Engineering Dept. at 892-9352. We will first check to see if your area has a sewer service line. If so, we will forward you to the utility dept. to discuss putting in an application to begin sewer service and paying the connection fee. You will be required to hire your own plumbing contractor to connect a line from your home to our sewer line.

I have sewage coming out of the manhole, or I can smell sewage.

  • Call Public Works, 893-5249, or Engineering Dept., 892-9352. We will take your name, address and phone number and send someone to inspect it.

I want speed bumps installed on my street.

  • Call the Engineering Clerk at 892-9352 to request. We will then place a request to the Police Dept. to set up a monitor for a 24 hour period. If the results show that 85% of the traffic’s speed exceeds the posted limit by 5 or more mph (must be 25 mph speed limit or less) we will allow the requester to obtain signatures on a petition and provide the requester with this and other necessary documents, forms, etc. 75% of the homeowner’s signatures will need to be obtained to receive installation approval.

I want speed bumps removed from my street.

  • Call the Engineering Clerk at 892-9352 to request. We will send you a petition to obtain 75% of the homeowner’s signatures to receive approval to have the speed bumps removed.

Ticket Prices

General Types of Offenses

Offense Ticket Price
Careless Driving $187.50
Child Restraint $153.00
Driver’s License – Suspended $512.50
Driver’s License – none/expired $327.50
Failure to Yield/Emergency Lights $263.50
Following too Closely $227.50
Improper Equipment $203.50
Improper Parking $249.25
Improper Passing $227.50
Improper Tag/Out of State $649.25
Leaving the Scene of an Accident $227.50
Littering $200.00
Obstructing Traffic $277.50
Parking in a Fire Lane $227.50
Parking in Handicap $349.25
Parking Zone Violation $227.50
Passing Stopped School Bus $503.50
Racing $427.50
Reckless Driving $237.50
Running Red Light $227.50
Running Stop Sign $227.50
Seatbelt Violation $75.00
Switched Tag $649.25
Tag – none/expired $249.25
Window Tint Violation $249.25

Speeding Offenses

Speeding Ticket Price
in a Construction Zone $327.50
in a School Zone $227.50
10 – 12 over $197.50
13 over $203.50
14 over $205.50
15 over $207.50
16 over $209.50
17 over $211.50
18 over $213.50
19 over $215.50
20 over $227.50
21 over $229.50
22 over $231.50
23 over $233.50
24 over $235.50
25 over $237.50
26 over $239.50
27 over $241.50
28 over $243.50
29 over $245.50
30 and over +Mandatory Court Appearance

Defensive Driving School

Youth Defensive Driving School

Defensive Driving School (DDS) is offered to anyone 21 years old or younger who receive a moving violation but has never had a ticket. The youth who received the moving violation must attend court on the assigned court date to ask the Judge and to sign up for driving school.

Adult Defensive Driving School

DDS is offered to any adult who has not received a ticket in the past three years and have a valid Mississippi License. The adult must pay the cost of the ticket plus $10, and the cost of the class, $45.00.


Upon Completion of the Class

Once the class has been completed, the instructor will issue a certificate that you must bring back to the court clerk’s office the following Monday after the class.

Once the certificate has been received by the Court Office, the ticket will be dismissed (in the youth’s case) or not reported to the State (in the adult’s case).

Court Department FAQs

When is my court date?

  • Answer: If you received a ticket, your court date/time can be found at the bottom of your ticket. Court on Tuesday starts at (9:00 a.m.) Court on Thursday starts at (9:00 a.m.)If you were arrested, you are given your court date and times when you are released, but, you still need to call (662) 892-9500 to confirm your court date and time.

Can I change my court date?

  • Answer: No. We do not change or reschedule court dates.If you are unable to appear, most likely there will be a warrant issued for your arrest.If your court date is for a traffic citation, you have 10 days from your court date to pay your ticket, or your license will be suspended.

What forms of payment do you accept?

  • Answer: We accept cash, checks (can not accept out of state checks), money orders and credit cards over the phone with a processing fee. We have online payments that you can make with a credit card, there is a fee for this service you can go here to pay your traffic tickets without coming to court.

How can I found out why my driver’s licenses are suspended?

  • Answer: If you have been arrested for driving while license suspended you can call The Mississippi Department of Driver’s Improvement @ 601-987-1224 they will tell you why and who has your license suspended and what you have to do to get them correct.

What if I receive a ticket for No Proof of Insurance?

  • Answer: The State of Mississippi requires you to have Proof of Insurance in your car at all time. If you get stopped and you have insurance but you just do not have it with you, you can bring in your proof of insurance showing you did have insurance before you were stopped, we will call your insurance company to verify your insurance and a copy will be made for your file and the ticket is dismissed. If your insurance card is on your phone or electrical device you will need to bring in a copy of your insurance card. The State of Mississippi passed a new law in April 2018 charging a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd offense for not having insurance. If you did not have insurance at the time you were stopped the 1st. offense will be $478.00, 2nd offense $578.00, 3rd offense $678.00 this is a State mandated fine. If you do not purchase insurance your Driver’s License will be SUSPENDED for 1 year or until you provide proof of insurance to the Department of Public Safety in Jackson, Ms..

Contact Us

  • 662-892-9200
  • City of Olive Branch, MS
    9200 Pigeon Roost
    Olive Branch, MS 38654