Planning & Building FAQ's

1. What are the requirements concerning replacing a fence?
A permit must be applied for to insure that the new fence meets the requirements of the City’s Zoning Ordinance.  A fence permit can be applied for at the Building Department offices.

2. Are silt fence require on all vacant lots?
No, silt fences are required only on lots where grass has been removed.

3. What are the requirements to install an accessory building on your property?
Answer: In order to construct an accessory structure a permit must be applied for at the Building Department offices.  The permit application process ensures that the potential structure does not interfere with any utility easements and that the placement of the structure is in accordance with zoning and building regulations.

4. How do I schedule inspections?
 Contact the Building Department offices at (662)892-9333 before 9 a.m. for a morning inspection and before 1 p.m. for an afternoon inspection.

5. Do I need a permit for a garage sale?
 No, a permit is not required if you are having the garage sale at your residence.  A permit is necessary if you are having the sale at a commercial location.

6. What are your adopted building codes?
 On September 1, 2009 the Mayor and Board of Alderman passed an ordinance adopting the following building codes:

 2009 International Building Code
 2009 International Residential Code
 2009 International Mechanical Code
 2009 International Plumbing Code
 2009 International Fuel Gas Code
 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
 2008 National Electric Code

7. What is the difference between the Planning Commission and the Board of Adjustment?
 The Planning Commission is made of seven Commissioners, which includes a Chairman who is in charge of the meetings. Those monthly meetings are held to process applications from land owners requesting changes in a particular subdivision’s zoning text, to change from one zoning designation to another, or subdivide currently owned property for the purpose of developing it, and other necessary miscellaneous requests. The Planning Commission’s function is to make a recommendation to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen with reference to the applications that have been processed. The final decision rests with the Mayor and Board of Aldermen.

The Board of Adjustment also consists of seven members, including a Chairman who is in charge of the meetings. Those monthly meetings are held to process applications from land owners requesting changes and or variances in existing City of Olive Zoning Regulations. The requests also include temporary allowances of certain functions to take place for requested periods of times, and within particular zoning designations. The requests are known as Conditional Use Permit and Variance requests, the final decisions with reference to the applications submitted rests with this Board, unless that decision is appealed to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen.

8. The notices that we receive in the mail about the meetings, are those meetings open to the public? If I attend, do I have to speak? 
Answer: The purpose of the notice is to inform you about the request from a homeowner located within 500 ft. of your property. This gives you the opportunity to either support or object to the request, you may choose not to attend the meeting. You will be given the opportunity to speak at the meeting if you desire, with the length of time to be determined by the Chairman.  Board of Adjustment meetings are open to the general public.
7. What are the rules for parking vehicles?  How many vehicles are allowed? Can we park on the street? What is considered a junk or derelict vehicle?
 The City of Olive Branch parking ordinance states that all vehicles shall be parked on an impervious surface.  Vehicles are not allowed to be parked on the lawn.  Parking on the street is allowed for a time period of 48 hours.  Junk vehicles, as defined by the City of Olive Branch, are vehicles without current tags, current inspection sticker, or that are clearly inoperable. Any vehicle that meets the criteria for a junk vehicle must be parked in a completely enclosed building or garage.

8. Why does it take a long time to clean abandoned properties?
 The City of Olive Branch cleans or cuts properties under Mississippi Code section 21-19-11. This code requires the City to set a public hearing date at a regular meeting of the Board of Aldermen, and requires that we give the property owner substantial notice of the public hearing. The public hearing must also be held at a regular meeting of the Board of aldermen. To complete the required process, it takes about eight weeks.

9. Why are some portable signs allowed and others not? 
Answer: The City of Olive Branch’s ordinance relating to signs prohibits the use of portable signs, or signs that are not permanently affixed to the ground or a building. There are a few exemptions to this ordinance including, but not limited to, political signs, real estate or “for lease” signs, and public signs.

10. How much is a fence permit? 
Answer: The total for a fence permit is $36.00. 

Latest Events

    February 15, 2016 (9:00 am)
  • YOGA
    February 15, 2016 (11:30 am)
  • Chair Yoga
    February 15, 2016 (2:15 pm)
  • Mahjongg
    February 16, 2016 (12:30 - pm)